INFORMATION ON REQUIRED TRAINING AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST (COI) DISCLOSURES:
For training and COI disclosure requirements, please refer to "IRB Training Requirements of Investigators and Key Personnel; and Conflict of Interest (COI) Requirements for 'Investigators for the Purposes of COI'"
For more information, contact the SUNY DMC IRB at 718-613-8480. For verification of training or COI submissions of Downstate employees, please contact Nakih Gonzales at 718-270-4372 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructions for COI Disclosures NYC Health +Hospitals/Kings County investigators:
Employees of NYC Health +Hospitals/Kings County must e-mail a copy of their completed COI Disclosure Form to Dr. Imah Jones at Imah.Jones@nychhc.org. Be sure to include the name of the study and indicate the research is being reviewed by the SUNY Downstate IRB. Dr. Jones will return the determination to the investigator making the request. Once the (COI) determination document (e.g. adjudication letter) is issued by NYC H+H COI Committee, please add the document in the IRB submission package in IRBNet. If a management plan is needed for a Significant Financial Interest, the NYC H+H COI Committee will develop a Management Plan to be shared with the SUNY Downstate IRB and the SUNY Downstate Conflict of Interest Committee.
The conflict of interest (COI) determination document (e.g. adjudication letter) from NYC Health +Hospitals/Kings County should include:
- Name of the investigator
- Name of the study
- A statement that the institution is in compliance with federal regulations, effective August 24, 2012, for researchers who are applying for or have received research funding from the Public Health Service (PHS).
- A statement about whether or not there are any Significant Financial Interests (SFI).
If there are any SFI’s, please provide a COI management plan approved by their employer.
For any additional information on the NYC Health +Hospitals/Kings County process please contact one of the following NYC Health +Hospitals/Kings County Facility Research Coordinators:
OPTIONAL TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES:
IRB Educational Presentations:
- Highlights of New Policy IRB-01: Power Point or PDF
- Working with the IRB: Why, when, Who, How, What, & Where: PowerPoint or PDF
- Evolution and Transition of the Downstate IRB: PDF
- IRB -Human Subjects Research: Incoming Staff Orientation: PowerPoint or PDF
- IRBNet - Visual Snap Shot of Submission Process (IRBNet Training Energizer-PDF)
- Biostatistics vs. Lab Research Video (Requires Adobe/YouTube software download)
- Coping with Your Biostatistician
John Conley Division of Medical Ethics and Humanities:
To listen to FREE audio podcast presentations from the John Conley Division of Medical Ethics and Humanities, please download them from iTunesU.
Office for Human Research Protections:
The U.S. Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) offers various training options to help understand Health and Human Services Regulations. Click on the links below for additional information:
- OHRP Educational Events
FDA Educational Materials:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has several web resources for educational materials, some of which are described below:
- Clinical Trials Educational Materials
- Comparison of FDA and HHS Human Subject Protection Regulations
External Educational Materials:
The following links are provided to educational materials provided by external IRBs and other sites.
- Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs (AAHRPP)
- Chesapeake IRB
- Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative
- EMORY University IRB
- Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R)
- Quorum Knowledge Center
- Schulman IRB Webinar Library
- SMART IRB
- WIRB Copernicus Group Webinars
Disclaimer: The SUNY Downstate website includes links to information and sites created and maintained by other public or private organizations. SUNY Downstate provides these links solely for its users’ information and convenience. When users select a link to an external site, they are leaving the SUNY Downstate website and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the external sites. These sites do not necessarily operate under the same laws, regulations, or policies as SUNY Downstate. SUNY Downstate does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information on a linked website. SUNY Downstate does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites and does not endorse the views they express or the products and services they offer. SUNY Downstate cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites and is not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.